Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Love - Hate Library

Libraries are really great!  I do love them for all the great books I can borrow, read & return.  I love all the programs they do for the kids & even for the adults once & awhile.  The librarians are amazingly helpful & have recommended some stupendous books!  They are, for the most part, patient w/ me & the 4 littles - which is helpful when I have my hands full assisting one in book finding while the other 3 are either running, yelling or pulling books off the shelves like it's an Olympic sport (total exaggeration on that last one).

But I hate the new library online catalog.  When it renews my books, it does from the day I click "renew" rather than from the date it is due.  So I wait until the last minute to renew - often forgetting & then am charged late fees.  Not only that, but the online catalog just doesn't work properly at home.  It freezes, it won't let me perform operations - like reserving a book and sometimes a basic search.  (I've tried 4 different browsers . . . )

I hate that my kids, somehow, misplace books & that I can spend days looking for them.

I hate that my kids find books I'm so not excited about - Barney, Spongebob, the Chipmunks, Barbie . . . bleck!

It drives me crazy when I have all 4 kids there & the librarian (only one of them does this) makes sure to look through all the books I have out to make sure she can get them renewed & help me avoid late fines.  I know that her heart is good on this one, so I can't be all that upset.  I just wish she'd hear me out when I do say that I need to get going & get the kids home.

As I say all this, I do really love our library.  I'm just totally frustrated right now that I have been looking for 8 books over the past 1-2 weeks.  I found 7 of them today - finally.  Where were they?  In the most random & odd places in the house for a library book to be - one on top of the tall filing cabinet in the basement, one was  IN one of our books . . . Aaarrrrgh!!

I just needed to get it all out . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment