Tuesday, June 5, 2012

How Our Garden Grows

Our garden has been growing - as much as the weather allows.  It's been fun (mainly for me since the kids are so little) to see how the plants will shoot up over a few days of really nice weather & then slow down as we get a touch of chiller air & less sunshine.  

I learned & shared w/ the kids about what seeds we should put in the greenhouse first, then add others according to how fast they sprout & grow.

Our beans (bush & pole), snap peas & lettuce took off from the start.  The kids & I were so surprised to see how fast we got results.  The peppers, tomatoes, basil & cilantro weren't so speedy.

The most unfortunate part is that we needed to take the greenhouse top off the garden earlier than expected since the peas & pole beans were hitting the top.  We thought that the rabbits would get at everything else before it even had a chance.

That meant that we needed to get a trellis for the peas & pole beans.  I knew string would suffice for the peas & was hoping the beans would be OK w/ it as well, so La & I drilled holes & screwed in some screws to make the trellis.  (Notice our other helpers - B w/ his gardening gloves on, A mowing the lawn & AMP our photographer.)























It's taking me longer to string it than I thought.  Every time I get up on the step stool, a twin is needing a push or help.  Thankfully the plants are more forgiving & patient than the twins at 2 yrs old.

A few weeks later & this is the state of our garden:



The lettuce is ripe for the picking or nibbling . . . :)  I love finding La picking off leaves for herself & the twins.  Now, if only A would eat them all instead of bringing me half-eaten leaves as a gift.  ;)




















I'm linking up w/ HSV Garden Challenge to share w/ other homeschooling families.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love finding my kids harvesting backyard garden 'treats'! They are so much more willing to eat it there than at the table! ;P (stopping by from HSV Garden Challenge)

    ReplyDelete