Thursday, May 3, 2012

2012 - The First Months

I discovered Pinterest in the Fall of 2011, but I was disciplined knowing the holidays were coming.  But than after New Year's . . .  Pinterest sums up our January & February.  It chewed me up & spit me out.  I was overwhelmed:  crafts, to home decor, fashion, hair, tot activities, gardening, sewing, crochet & even homeschooling!!

Where was I to start??

February found me desiring a change in how I homeschooled.  I've been hearing more & more about The Relaxed Homeschooler.  And I want to be relaxed, so I tried simplifying.  Fewer worksheets, more hands-on, interactive activities.  Time was spent researching, reading, & gathering supplies.  Frustration at the cost of desired supplies, so cheaper substitutions were made.  AGH!!

After a few weeks of trying new things, I realized - it's not how I operate best.  Thankfully, I learned tons about Montessori methods & have many new activities.

Now it's May . . . yes, May.  We taken many weeks off due to illnesses, busyness aside from school & just because.  I have to say, that I'm so thankful for homeschooling.  Because even though we haven't officially sat down & worked in our math workbook, we're still learning.  AMP & LaLa have been cooking with me, assisting with cleaning, caring for others, laundry & more!!

We've never stopped reading.  Our weekly trip to the library for story time just ended as the program takes a break before the busy summer season.   We've always had at least 80 books on loan.  AMP is incredibly self-motivated & is reading some pretty big books for such a little guy.  I'm so thankful for his enjoyment of reading.

But, with summer quickly approaching, I feel a need to get some things done.  Finishing Singapore KB is one of them.  We don't have much left.  (I had thought in February that we would start in 1A by now.)  We'll be working on time & money, which Jarrod has been introducing to AMP over the past month through some  well-timed teachable moments.  The only other thing I would like to finish up is going through the 2nd grade readers.  Not so much because AMP needs the practice, but because I need to check something off the list.  I'm thankful AMP enjoys the stories so it's not just busywork for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment