Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Busy Weekend Makes a Lazy Week

Last week we flew through our school. Lil' J & S loved it all, so we just kept rollin' along. We finished everything except our science experiment w/ air. In addition, we finished our Read-Out-Loud (ROL), The Boxcar Children - a whole 1.5 weeks early! Now my question is . . . do we just pick up the next ROL or do I get a book from the library to fill in? I'm just not sure . . .

Thankfully we finished all our school early. My little brother got married this past weekend. I needed Thursday afternoon & Friday for cleaning & preparation. We left A&B with G&G, which meant I needed to create copious amounts of notes & labels. Honestly, I probably didn't need to do as much as I did. But I knew they were nervous, so I wanted to make sure they had every advantage possible.

We all had a great weekend. The wedding was beautiful and the bride even more so. I loved seeing my brother being so organized & responsible. He is so very capable & I am proud of him!

Do I have any photos to share? No. I don't. I was too busy having fun to stop & take any photos. I left my camera with J, hoping he would take some, but alas, I have nothing.

So begins our week. I feel wiped from all the excitement & unpacking to really want to do any school. The kids are playing really, really well together. And the BIG book I started last week is due tomorrow. All the cards are stacked against me.

Yet, it all works out. Lil' J & S love learning. As soon as the twins dozed off on Monday S runs up, "Momma, will you teach me now? From my farm book?!" Off we went.

Lil' J struggled with his Math. I realized that he struggles with different orientations of shapes in patterns. We will need more practice. On the bright side, measurement is going really well. We're using Lego 4x4 bricks as our standard for measuring. It was even his idea!

S really wants to learn how to read, but I know that she's not ready. We've tried a few lessons from Teach Your Child to Read In 100 Easy Lessons. She picks up the letter sounds just great, but when stringing them together she struggles. I'll try to keep with it for another week or so to give her the benefit of the doubt.

Other than all the homeschoolin' busyness, I've been diligent to use up all our CSA(community supported agriculture) veggies every week. I had never cooked with leeks before, so I went searching for a good recipe. My first try was a leek & potato soup. We all liked it, but it didn't fill us up. It would have been great as a 1st course though. My second try had much better results. Pasta with Pancetta & Leek was a hit with everyone in the house & was much more satisfying, though we could do without the wine. I did tweak it to better fit my family. You can see the original recipe on The Pinoneer Woman's website, but I'll summarize my version here quickly.

Pasta w/ Bacon & Leek
  • box of bow-tie pasta, cooked to your liking (I use whole-wheat)
  • 1 package of Bacon, chopped
  • 5-6 small to medium leeks, sliced & washed
  • 2 Tbsps butter
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
  • Parmesan Cheese, grated
  • salt & pepper to taste
Add bacon to hot skillet, fry until slightly brown. Drain bacon grease. Add chopped leeks. Cook for about another 10 min. Get pasta cooking. Add butter to pan w/ bacon & leeks. Melt butter, add cream. Drain pasta & add to pan. Stir in Parmesan to taste & serve! Yummy!!

Off to start our Wednesday schooling . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment