Thursday, September 13, 2012

Pinterest

It's nothing new anymore . . . just Pinterest.

When people ask me where I found that idea or recipe & I reply Pinterest, I get the eye-roll.  Or the, "Oh, Pinterest." with the raised eyebrows.  Not many of my close friends use Pinterest.  Or they have an account, use it sporadically or not at all . . . anymore.

I've expanded my knowledge of quinoa & how to cook with it.  Need a slow cooker recipe?  How about something new for breakfast?  Try the pumpkin scones!



Even eating healthier has gotten easier.  I don't think I've had a bad recipe since I've started using Pinterest.  It's great because people only pin recipes they really like.  So when you're looking for something tasty AND healthy, you can find a pretty good selection.  I found this great way to make microwave popcorn without all the additives.

I love all the 'clean' cleaning tips!  Since S was born 4 years ago, I would get headaches from any strong cleaning product smell.  Now, I almost exclusively clean with a baking soda & dish soap paste.  It may take a little bit more elbow grease when I don't get the shower on a regular basis, but I don't get headaches.

I've started looking at stuff around our house in a different light.  For example, we have an old IKEA CD tower.  In the age of MP3's, we haven't put this tower to good use in at least 4 years.  So we flipped it!  It's a horizontal shelf above our desk.

It does have a down side - it's completely & totally addicting!  When I was first introduced to Pinterest about a year ago, I scrolled through pages & pages of . . . stuff.  After the kids when to bed, while I enjoyed my morning coffee, after lunch during the kids 'down time' - wow!  Thankfully, there is a limit to what is new.  Now I check for something new about once a week.

This does not include the times I hit up Pinterest for something I've all ready pinned.  That happens at least twice a week - usually for a recipe that I misplaced or for refreshing my memory for the number of cups of cooked quinoa 1 cup of dry makes.

Useful tool, absolutely.  Possible time waster, absolutely . . . did I let my kids play a little longer than usual after lunch, yes.

You got to have balance.  Like so many other things in our easily distracted lives.  But that's another topic for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment