Monday, September 10, 2012

Classical Education

I came across this book:


I don't remember who recommended it or if I just stumbled across it, but I found a copy at our library.  I've been holding onto it for about 3 weeks, completely overwhelmed by the size of it!  Usually non-fiction books that are over 2 inches in thickness get brought home & returned without being opened.

This one was opened.  I honestly wasn't sure what to expect.  Would it be full of slow, dull text with out practical methods, resources & advice?  Would the authors come across condescending?  Would I feel like a loser for not education my child in this fashion?

The answer to my questions was, "No!"  It was quite readable & enjoyable.  The authors nailed this well-written guide.  They put me at ease with their own homeschool experiences.  They satisfied my questioning such an 'old & outdated educational philosophy' with a re-introduction to how children's mind think & the progression they make as they grow.  They built on that foundation, explaining how a classical education's practice matches the way a growing child processes information.

What I did not expect were the examples of how to teach your own child using a classical education.  In addition the amazing lists of resources.  The writers empowered me & excited me for teaching my children!  Fabulous book to read if you ever get the chance!

No comments:

Post a Comment