Sunday, June 24, 2012

My Last Supper

Is tonight.

Before I begin a 30 day fast.  

Now, before you jump to conclusions.  I am not writing about this on the blog to gain praise from man.  Yes, I know, praise from man is our reward if that is what we are looking for, but I am not.  I am looking for so much more.  Really, I'm using the blog like a diary or journal.  I can see that no one reads it, so I don't mind putting this all out there. 

On to the why, when, where & how . . .

It all started about a month ago when I stumbled upon this book, 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker.  Her book includes an introduction, 7 chapters regarding her 7 months of fasting & ends with a conclusion.

Just reading the introduction blew me away.  I wanted to go on a journey like hers.  I have lots of baggage that I cannot seem to get rid of on my own & I need to open some doors so that God can take it (or rather, that I can learn to lay it down before & leave it there).  I want what is "comfortable (being a consumer christian) to become uncomfortable."  And what is "uncomfortable (loving the poor & marginalized) to become comfortable."  I read the intro out-loud to J a few weeks ago, as I was still trying to wrap my mind around it all (it is so simple, yet not . . .) & he was hooked as well. I thought I would be going on this journey alone, but I have a partner.

In Jen's first fast, she chose to focus on the excess of food that we have here in the states.  She chose 7 foods to eat for 30 days.  Water, salt, pepper & olive oil were 'freebies.'  She chose to eat only:
  • chicken
  • eggs
  • avocado
  • spinach
  • whole wheat bread
  • apples
  • sweet potatoes.
Can you imagine?  Well, J & I have chosen our 7 foods and are ready to go for tomorrow.  Here is what we will be eating:
  • chicken
  • eggs
  • apples
  • spinach
  • whole wheat bread (that I will make for us from fresh ground wheat berries, canola oil, honey, salt & yeast)
  • beans
  • nuts
We chose the nuts because I have a slight allergy to avocado & we needed to make sure that our bodies were getting a little fat.  We chose beans for many reasons.  If you want to check out this website, it will give you plenty of education on the matter of beans.

We have one exception to our 7 foods that Jen did not.  If you look back in the blog posts, you'll notice that we have started a garden & belong to a CSA.  We have no desire to see any food go to waste because of our fast.  So, anything in our weekly CSA box or garden that 1) the kids will not eat up or 2) I cannot preserve for after our 30 days are finished, we can eat.  

With that said, we start tomorrow.  I'm scared.  No coffee, chocolate, donuts, chips, smoothies . . .  J is going to have to do all the grocery shopping, b/c I don't want to see all the yum in the grocery store.

I'm not really a fan of being vulnerable either . . .

I'll be posting here from time to time - like I said, this is my journal . . .

I'm really not sure what to expect from God during this time.  But I hope & pray for so much!  



**If you feel a little lost about what you just read, I highly recommend finding a copy of 7:An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess.  You will not be disappointed - it is so much more than the title reveals.  Or you may leave a question in the comments section or email me.** 

No comments:

Post a Comment